Mabon excess
Well, in lieu of marking, I chose to mark the passing of the fall equinox yesterday and celebrated Mabon by making a fine dinner of harvest local and distant. While I've been mostly vegetarian for about six years now and haven't cooked with meat in over four, I decided for whatever reason, to cook a Cornish Game Hen for dinner. It's been a long while since I've made a roast dinner for myself, and while the skills were still there, it took and inordinate amount of time to accomplish. To be honest, I enjoyed the roasted vegetables, the stuffing and the absolutely divine chocolate mousse far more than the hen. And so did my poor body, which has evidently become used to processing vegetables. Ah well, I suppose that you don't know until you try something. In the meantime I am making soup and will use every bit of the poor bird to assuage my conscience.
But the mousse! I've never made chocolate mousse before and I tried a recipe from the ever rich and ever reliable 'The Lutece Cookbook" by Andre Soltner. I will be forever regretful that I didn't make the time to visit Lutece while Andre was at the helm, during my past visits to New York City -- it would have been a memory for a lifetime. Alas, I can only try to make his recipes at home when I am in need of a "heart attack on a plate" style of meal. And the mousse. Divine.
So, Happy Mabon, all. May the remainder of the season treat you well...
But the mousse! I've never made chocolate mousse before and I tried a recipe from the ever rich and ever reliable 'The Lutece Cookbook" by Andre Soltner. I will be forever regretful that I didn't make the time to visit Lutece while Andre was at the helm, during my past visits to New York City -- it would have been a memory for a lifetime. Alas, I can only try to make his recipes at home when I am in need of a "heart attack on a plate" style of meal. And the mousse. Divine.
So, Happy Mabon, all. May the remainder of the season treat you well...
Comments