Fall...

How can over a week have passed since I last posted on here? I've been busy, granted, but still. One thing that has been on my mind a lot lately is how to take responsibility for my experience of my life. I think that in general there is little encouragement to own our life experiences. What I do hear a lot of (and utter myself, at times!) is "It's not fair" and "It/he/she/they *made* me feel" and other variations on the theme of "I don't own my life or my reactions to it". A long time ago I was given a copy of The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People. I read some of it and got hung up on the idea of creating a personal mission statement. The idea of commiting to an idea and a plan for my life was too scary, and I quit reading the book. Not one of my proudest moments, but hey? In any case, the point being that as a timeseeker, I've realised that it's paramount that I do have a plan, that I act in agreement with my deepest values and finally that my goals and daily decisions are in line with these values. And ultimately, whether I call it a mission statement or not, I can't act in accordance with an ideal that I haven't thought through. So I've been attending to the quality of my experiences lately...

And you know what? It certainly improves my perception of the passage of the minutes and hours of my life to really attend to what is happening and how I can create my own responses to events and people around me.

Food for thought...

Comments

Popular Posts