Garden promises
I'm all set now to try out square foot gardening. If only spring would arrive. I convinced a friend to help me pick up my supplies last night. So, in the pouring rain we headed down to Rona and bought around 100L of compost, a bale of peat moss and some vermiculite. I'm quite excited to try it out. And as I haven't had my garden soil tested and I live in a very polluted city, it will be nice to know for once that I'm not ingesting lead or any other nasty substances with my home-grown organic veggies.
Hopefully tomorrow the sun will come out as planned and I'll be able to build my boxes. I have a bit of lumber kicking around from previous tenants, so I didn't have to buy new. I did have to buy a saw, but presumably that will come in handy for other projects along the way as well?? I can hope.
So yes, creativity through growing. Good way to connect with the seasons too. I mean, how many city dwellers have any idea when the last expected frost of the season is? Mind you, with climate change I suspect the Farmer's Almanac is going to be rather less reliable than one might have hoped.
I so need to figure out a way to live a better life than this running around in a city. There has to be a way to make a living in this country that doesn't involve selling my soul or living in abject poverty. Surely. What are all the other people who are awake to the world doing? How are you all surviving out there? Maybe there is some kind of community that I can join... Make jewellery and grow organic veg and live on the land? I sort of can't see it happening, really. At least not right now!
Hopefully tomorrow the sun will come out as planned and I'll be able to build my boxes. I have a bit of lumber kicking around from previous tenants, so I didn't have to buy new. I did have to buy a saw, but presumably that will come in handy for other projects along the way as well?? I can hope.
So yes, creativity through growing. Good way to connect with the seasons too. I mean, how many city dwellers have any idea when the last expected frost of the season is? Mind you, with climate change I suspect the Farmer's Almanac is going to be rather less reliable than one might have hoped.
I so need to figure out a way to live a better life than this running around in a city. There has to be a way to make a living in this country that doesn't involve selling my soul or living in abject poverty. Surely. What are all the other people who are awake to the world doing? How are you all surviving out there? Maybe there is some kind of community that I can join... Make jewellery and grow organic veg and live on the land? I sort of can't see it happening, really. At least not right now!
Comments