Evolving thoughts

I went to Boston last week. Once upon a time in a previous life I lived there, and seeing it again after the better part of a decade was really bittersweet. Bitter because I realised how much more I like Boston as a city than the city I do live in, and sweet because I got to visit old haunts, see old friends and of course, see and smell the ocean. Why is an ocean person like me living the land-lubbing life? If the pursuit of a good life is in part the pursuit of the appropriate context in which to exercise one's values, it is no wonder these years here haven't been my happiest. Fruitful, yes. Occasionally exciting and fulfilling. But happy? That simple and elusive emotion? Less so. I think it is hard to be grounded in a place that doesn't speak to you. Every time I look around this city it strikes me in my heart. It is such an uninspiring example of city planning. And that need not be so. This is not an ugly part of the world; leaving this city makes that abundantly clear. But somehow the profit motive (among other drivers, I'm sure) is making its mark in the ugliest and longest-lasting way possible; through poorly conceived built form.

What I love about Boston is its mix of history and newness. The downtown shows its evolution from a colonial city into the modern multicultural mix it is now; there are still active docklands, the downtown area is still vibrant, and even outlying areas are connected by transit and by the natural thoroughfare of the Charles River. Why doesn't this city's rivers do that? Why is it so hard to even *know* that there are six rivers running through this city? Anyway.

In other news, the doctoral waiting process is mostly over. The defence is done, the revisions are finished but waiting approval and well. That's it. Just waiting for the moment in the bright red robes and floopy hat and for the family pictures. How about that. Six years, almost... Talk about seeking time...

Comments

Popular Posts