Cloud forest!!

The cloud forest is so wicked. It´s also very hot and sticky here -- a totally different climate to Quito, for all that we are only two and a bit hours away by bus. Amazing. I took a six hour walk today -- visited a waterfall via a long hike through the canopy. I could have spent $15 to go on a zipline, but then I wouldn´t have been able to see the butterflies, or the cool plants, or well, get as dirty!?

I took a little baby cable car thing across the river and then hiked up through the canopy for about an hour, feeling all terribly removed from cars etc, only to hear when I reached the top the unmistakable sound of a bus!! A bit jarring, but then I realised that the dollar I paid to cross the river was only to get into the hike part, and the actual cascades cost another three bucks... I was slightly peeved, but whatever. The cascades themselves were not all that, but what was wicked was the big red bird that I saw crossing the river and then perching on a tree only about fifty feet from me. I took a picture, but I needed an SLR and a funky lens to actually make the shot. Still wicked cool though. And then where I stopped to buy lunch on my way back they had hummingbird feeders and there were at least four different species feeding (and fighting). So cool.


I somehow neglected to realise that the cloud forest is not cool like the highlands are. I am definitely not heat acclimatised! But walking in my tank top was good, as when it started to rain I just cooled down a bit. And my umbrella (thank you for asking, Jonah) worked very well at keeping me more or less dry post-lunch on the walk on the road home. The roads in Mindo are largely nonexistent. Great puddles and potholes of mud, for all that this is meant to be the dry season! I guess ¨dry¨ is relative...

My hostal is pretty, um, ¨basico¨. Oh well. Breakfast was tasty enough, and who really needs a hot shower anyway? Or even a shower that stays on (and cold) while you´re covered with soap? But I guess that is what $8 a night buys you here? Last night I asked a few random strangers if they wanted to eat dinner with me. There were three single white girls at three separate tables in the restaurant I chose... I asked one if she wanted company and within three minutes the other girl joined us too. Fun. The food was pretty tasty, too :)

Bird watching tomorrow morning at 5am and then back to Quito on the 2pm bus. Then down to the coast on the 8pm night bus. It´s going to be a long one I think...

Comments

Anonymous said…
So glad that you made it to the cloud forest and that you had good company for dinner too. Nice to not be all alone when travelling alone. I hope the hiking puts you in a good state of tired so as to sleep as well as you can on the bus ride to the coast. Keep having fun!
Anonymous said…
It sounds soooo very cool - i want to be there too - can i just quit my job and come and play with you????
I'm sorry about the eco-village people - that's very odd. Dar would say that everything happens for a reason though - so maybe it means there's something else that's really good that will be coming your way!
The shower sounds - not so fun! Our first trip to Africa i missed the showers every day - they either ran out of water, or were super cold, or really hot (gotta love the propane!). I like it much better when the showers work!
Love you tonnes - big huge hugs! :)

Catherine

Popular Posts