Off to the ecovillage I go

I´ll be out of touch for the next few weeks I think, because the ecovillage I´m going to doesn´t have internet access and I think once I make the three hour hike up there I´m sort of unlikely to come back down again until I´m ready to leave. Cuenca has been really nice. The museum I visited yesterday with the aboriginal artifacts was really quite interesting, and then I went to a touristy and overpriced but very funky cafe for dinner. I figured that I deserved a treat after my very cheap chicken foot soup and rice lunch... And no, I didn´t realise that the broth was going to be made of chicken feet until I had the bowl in front of me and the source of the protein was oh so obvious. Not so yummy, but you know, I ate it anyway (though not the feet themselves, in truth). But the cafe was a lovely interlude with good music, a lovely glass of wine, and little plates of tapas for dinner. All good. I slept like the dead too, and then this morning got up to pack, buy some breakfast and some road food and then to check on the e-world before I head out. Hopefully the sign in the lobby of my hotel is correct and there really is a bus to Loja at noon today! It´s always slightly dodgier travelling on the weekend...

In any case, I am both hopeful and slightly nervous about the coming weeks at the ecovillage. Hopeful that I will meet some interesting people and also get a better handle on the whys and wherefores of creating eco-community and nervous that the experience will perhaps resemble the communities in the reading I did on intentional communities for my second comp -- i.e. full-on hippieville. We shall see soon enough. To be fair, the hippieville version would also be fine, just perhaps a little harder for me to integrate into, is all. Hmm.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Let your hair down in hippieville, my dear! You'll have lots of stories to share, I am sure. I am proud of you for making the hike (literally) to the ecovillage and seeing things through. Dreams are worth the effort! You'll confirm and learn a few things, I think. And thanks for adding the pictures to your stories from Puerto Lopez. The bird photos are awesome! And the hat does work!

Popular Posts