So far in Peru
Sunset from the farm kitchen... they were beautiful every night, but this one was pretty spectacular! 
A busy first few days in Peru. I met a Danish girl standing in line for the border crossing bus to Piura and we have been travelling together for the last few nights. I have stayed in some pretty dodgy (but very cheap!) hostals for the last two evenings, but tonight we are in Trujillo in a hospitality school´s ¨mini hotel¨. It´s quite funny -- there are only five rooms, but as soon as you are in the room it feels like a Best Western or the like in any country in the world. We ate at the school´s restaurant for lunch and it was all very formal... for the price of a meal on the street. Three courses, juice, and for a me a cafe con leche for about $4. Crazy. The students are very eager to be helpful, which is sweet, but makes a strange vibe after staying in places with cold water showers down the hall and no toilet paper in the bathrooms! But given that tomorrow night will be on the night bus to Lima, it will be good to have a decent night´s sleep tonight...
Today though we went to Chan Chan which was amazing. It was once the largest adobe city in the world. We went to the main site which has been restored to something approximating its former splendor; the walls are all carved with representations of animals and the scale of the city is just amazing. It was all hidden under the sand dunes of the desert around here until just a few years ago. Yesterday we went to the Museo de los Tombes de SÃpan, which was amazing as well. The tomb was only discovered in the 1980s and had a stunning array of funerary goods in gold and silver and copper. The museum was world class and so worth a visit.
And some pictures of my farm adventures, for the curious! I don´t have my Chan Chan pictures internet ready yet, but I´ll post some for sure next time I have a chance.
The kitchen, my ¨platform¨ bed (which I miss, just for the record), Santi the goat, and the chicken tractor. It feels weird to be heading to Lima when I was just at the farm on Sunday, I have to say. But Peru has been good to me so far, anyway...



A busy first few days in Peru. I met a Danish girl standing in line for the border crossing bus to Piura and we have been travelling together for the last few nights. I have stayed in some pretty dodgy (but very cheap!) hostals for the last two evenings, but tonight we are in Trujillo in a hospitality school´s ¨mini hotel¨. It´s quite funny -- there are only five rooms, but as soon as you are in the room it feels like a Best Western or the like in any country in the world. We ate at the school´s restaurant for lunch and it was all very formal... for the price of a meal on the street. Three courses, juice, and for a me a cafe con leche for about $4. Crazy. The students are very eager to be helpful, which is sweet, but makes a strange vibe after staying in places with cold water showers down the hall and no toilet paper in the bathrooms! But given that tomorrow night will be on the night bus to Lima, it will be good to have a decent night´s sleep tonight...
Today though we went to Chan Chan which was amazing. It was once the largest adobe city in the world. We went to the main site which has been restored to something approximating its former splendor; the walls are all carved with representations of animals and the scale of the city is just amazing. It was all hidden under the sand dunes of the desert around here until just a few years ago. Yesterday we went to the Museo de los Tombes de SÃpan, which was amazing as well. The tomb was only discovered in the 1980s and had a stunning array of funerary goods in gold and silver and copper. The museum was world class and so worth a visit.
And some pictures of my farm adventures, for the curious! I don´t have my Chan Chan pictures internet ready yet, but I´ll post some for sure next time I have a chance.
The kitchen, my ¨platform¨ bed (which I miss, just for the record), Santi the goat, and the chicken tractor. It feels weird to be heading to Lima when I was just at the farm on Sunday, I have to say. But Peru has been good to me so far, anyway...
Comments
I love the photos - it's great to be able to share little bits of your trip via this blog - I love it all!
Love you tonnes - big hugs!
Catherine
Leela