Change in plans... again!

Well, I'm in luck, after all. I found some people to travel with out of Coroico, and I'm now in Rurrenabaque, which is Bolivia's border to the jungle town. The bus ride was crazy-insane. Fourteen hours of twisty turny one-way dirt roads that were frequently being used by people going in both directions. I think the hairiest moment for me was when our bus had to back up around a hair-pin bend in order to allow a semi truck to pass us... Oy. There are disadvantages to being on the down side of the bus -- the view might be better, but sometimes there is information over-share! Anyway... We made it here this morning, but I've parted ways with the people I caught the bus with. My priorities are different: in a hostel I want cleanliness, comfort and cheapness. They just wanted cheap! I couldn't do the dead cockroach on the floor, shared bathroom gig, when for five bolivianos more (which is less than a dollar, for reference) I could have a nice clean room, still with a shared bath, in a place with hammocks, laundry facilities and a kitchen! C'mon, folks...

Anyway, after lunch I'm buying my jungle trip, assuming that I can find somewhere in this town to give me money from a machine. I can buy it on credit too, but at an 8.5% premium, which kind of bites. We'll see. But if all goes well, tomorrow morning I'm heading four hours up river in a motorized canoe to an ecolodge in the jungle where I might just be the only person staying, if the fellow I talked to this morning is correct. I'll be able to meet members of a nomadic Amazonian tribe, go for guided walks and canoe trips and hopefully see lots of cool insects, birds and other lifeforms. I'm pretty excited.

See y'all in four days or so!!

Comments

The Travellers said…
Good Luck! Be Safe!

I love you tonnes,
Nicola
Anonymous said…
Wow - that sounds awesome!! I hope you have a great time!

lots of love and huge hugs,

Catherine

Popular Posts