Jungle!
The jungle trip was awesome. I saw three kinds of monkeys, a sloth, some South American relatives of the racoon (or at least that is what they looked like to me), macaws and a whole heap of other birds, as well as caimans (relative of the crocodile). No tarantulas, snakes or other creepy crawlies though, which disappointed me a little bit. And the rain forest was a lot drier than I expected -- walking in the understory was a lot like taking a fall walk at home. Crunchy dry leaves, a lot of space between the trees... But still very cool. I saw a tree that is probably more than 1300 years old! My guide was good, and we managed to communicate pretty well in Spanish, which was nice. I had the lodge to myself for the first day, aside from staff, and then a French couple arrived the second day. I have to admit that I saw more walking just with me and the guide than having to share... Four people are just too loud!
My cabin was pretty sweet, too. I had a four-bed place to myself (tourists being slim on the ground given recent political issues), and the ´place´ consisted of hardwood floors, walls made of screen and a thatched roof, with proper beds (with their own mosquito nets) with duvets. Spoiled rotten, I say. No hot water though...
Here are some pics:
Me looking a little wild, having arrived at the camp during a thunderstorm...

My cabin. Just imagine waking up to that every morning. I tell you, it was hard to leave!!

The raccoon relatives. Aren´t they cool??

And one third of the base of the 1300 year old tree... with my guide for reference!
My cabin was pretty sweet, too. I had a four-bed place to myself (tourists being slim on the ground given recent political issues), and the ´place´ consisted of hardwood floors, walls made of screen and a thatched roof, with proper beds (with their own mosquito nets) with duvets. Spoiled rotten, I say. No hot water though...
Here are some pics:
Me looking a little wild, having arrived at the camp during a thunderstorm...
My cabin. Just imagine waking up to that every morning. I tell you, it was hard to leave!!
The raccoon relatives. Aren´t they cool??
And one third of the base of the 1300 year old tree... with my guide for reference!
Comments
I miss you lots. It's great to see the fun you are having, though! When you get back to this part of the world, there are some new inhabitants to visit at our house--including one that promises to grow into a big, orange boy cat! I thought of you immediately
Love you,
Nicola
I can see how it must have been hard to leave such a lovely quiet, lush, place, and to have to go back to ... the city!