Pictures, floating islands, Isla del Sol
I thought I´d upload a few pics from Sacsayhuaman -- it was such an impressive place to see. You can see the scale of the place by the pictures with Leela and me in them -- huge, hey? We were amazed, both by the scale, and also by the different types of building techniques displayed here -- from these enormous monoliths to what amounted (in my view) to rubble. Hard to see how it´s possible the same civilization did all of them, I have to say...



And of the floating islands and Isla del Sol, here are a few representative pictures. I did manage to walk the Isla del Sol yesterday, but yikes. I think a four hour hike at 4000+ metres was really pushing it after the 36 hours of nasty stomach bug and fever, but hey. Sometimes you do what you have to do, yes? The final shot is of the bay of Copacabana, the night I got food poisoning. I think the hike up the local hill was worth the view, though :)





I´m trying to get to La Paz today, though not having any luck making accommodation arrangments before I get there. I guess I should have done it last night online, but I was so tired after the walk around the Isla del Sol I went to bed right after supper. I´m sure that *somewhere* will have room for me :) But I can´t be staying here anymore -- I ordered breakfast this morning and got cold eggs. I sent them back and the fellow running the restaurant said "¿Caliente?" as if he´d never heard of anything so strange as a person wanting hot eggs for breakfast. After some discussion he took them back but came back with the same plate of cold eggs some minutes later. I couldn´t do it. The fake hot chocolate and cold toast from yesterday´s breadrolls didn´t add to the experience... Oy. I need better food, please? Someone?
And of the floating islands and Isla del Sol, here are a few representative pictures. I did manage to walk the Isla del Sol yesterday, but yikes. I think a four hour hike at 4000+ metres was really pushing it after the 36 hours of nasty stomach bug and fever, but hey. Sometimes you do what you have to do, yes? The final shot is of the bay of Copacabana, the night I got food poisoning. I think the hike up the local hill was worth the view, though :)
I´m trying to get to La Paz today, though not having any luck making accommodation arrangments before I get there. I guess I should have done it last night online, but I was so tired after the walk around the Isla del Sol I went to bed right after supper. I´m sure that *somewhere* will have room for me :) But I can´t be staying here anymore -- I ordered breakfast this morning and got cold eggs. I sent them back and the fellow running the restaurant said "¿Caliente?" as if he´d never heard of anything so strange as a person wanting hot eggs for breakfast. After some discussion he took them back but came back with the same plate of cold eggs some minutes later. I couldn´t do it. The fake hot chocolate and cold toast from yesterday´s breadrolls didn´t add to the experience... Oy. I need better food, please? Someone?
Comments
The grass-workings in the central photos you posted sure are impressive! They remind me a bit of the old-style rondavels (sp?) built by the Zulus in Natal. Is that the place where they make the reed/grass boats as well?
I love you tonnes, and miss chatting with you. I hope you feel much better soon.
Nicola