Ruminations on Bolivia
Well. Bolivia is not cooperating with my plans at all. I am in Coroico right now, which I stopped in in order to break the long trip up north to go to the jungle, but with the civic unrest, the north is not currently a recommended region for foreign travel. Neither, as it happens, is the south or the east. Given that I´m almost on the western border, the undeniable implication is that travel here generally is not currently recommended. Sigh!! And to complicate things, that nasty bug I caught in Copacabana required antibiotics to clear, and well, antibiotics and anti-malarials do not mix well. This is so not the plan!
Anyway. I guess that travel in South America implies that the traveller needs to be able to adapt to unexpected circumstances, yes? I expect that if I were travelling with someone else, or better yet, with a group, that the current unrest would seem like less of an issue, but as matters stand, the idea of taking a 17 hour bus ride into an area where people have been killed lately seems at the very least, unadvisable. I am going to try to get to the Uyuni salt flats before I give into the inevitable and leave Bolivia for Argentina, Peru or Chile (depending on which border crossings are not blocked), but I am not counting on that working out.
For the moment, I am going to spend today by the pool if weather permits, getting over my cold and reading a book from the book exchange. And perhaps having a cup of Yungas shade grown organic coffee in the afternoon. There are worse ways to wait out civic unrest... and worse places to do it in. But still.
Anyway. I guess that travel in South America implies that the traveller needs to be able to adapt to unexpected circumstances, yes? I expect that if I were travelling with someone else, or better yet, with a group, that the current unrest would seem like less of an issue, but as matters stand, the idea of taking a 17 hour bus ride into an area where people have been killed lately seems at the very least, unadvisable. I am going to try to get to the Uyuni salt flats before I give into the inevitable and leave Bolivia for Argentina, Peru or Chile (depending on which border crossings are not blocked), but I am not counting on that working out.
For the moment, I am going to spend today by the pool if weather permits, getting over my cold and reading a book from the book exchange. And perhaps having a cup of Yungas shade grown organic coffee in the afternoon. There are worse ways to wait out civic unrest... and worse places to do it in. But still.
Comments
I hope you are feeling better - sounds like that bug was pretty bad. I hope the cold ends soon too!
Love you tonnes - have a great time no matter what you end up doing!