Buenos Aires and the last bus ride (for a bit)
So I made it to Buenos Aires yesterday without too much difficulty. I almost got out at the wrong terminal though -- I asked the person on the bus sitting next to me if we´d made it to the Retiro bus station yet and they said yes so I got out to try and get my luggage... only to find out that we still had another hour of driving through the outskirts of Buenos Aires before we´d get to Retiro. Oops? Anyway. A dude from a hostel met my bus and gave me a voucher for the HI (hostelling international) rate at Tango Backpackers and told me how to get into town by train, so it was all very civilised. The bus trip itself could have been better -- the conductor was hitting on me and well, it´s an 18 hour trip from Puerto Madryn, and there is no escape on a bus! Rather uncomfortable, really.
Buenos Aires is hot! It´s about 33C in the shade here today and it´s only just noon. Last night was so hot in the dorm I woke up feeling like I couldn´t breathe because the air was so thick. Insane. However, I´m moving up in the world for the next ten days to a private room in the B&B my folks are staying at (thanks!!) and I went over this morning to see when I can check in as I had to be done at the hostel at ten this morning. The B&B is beautiful -- definitely on the right side of the tracks :) And despite the fact it doesn´t have AC either, is worlds cooler (and quieter!) than the hostel... All good.
I´m afraid that I don´t have the penguin pictures yet -- the backup device requires charging in order to move them onto my usb stick, and there wasn´t a secure (physically or in terms of thievery) place to recharge it in the last two hostels. But that will be remedied soon :) For now, here are some other recent shots :)
Here are some pretty flowers I saw on my island walk in Ushuaia -- the landscape there is so harsh and yet tucked into all sorts of nooks and crannies are beautiful flowers like these and many others.
Here is another shot of the Perito Morena glacier -- the chunk of ice at the bottom of the cliff really was that blue!
And another shot of the area around Bariloche -- I ate lunch here!
And the crab shot is just for you Darlene -- I couldn´t leave Ushuaia without trying the king crab, and having bought it, needed a record!!
Buenos Aires is hot! It´s about 33C in the shade here today and it´s only just noon. Last night was so hot in the dorm I woke up feeling like I couldn´t breathe because the air was so thick. Insane. However, I´m moving up in the world for the next ten days to a private room in the B&B my folks are staying at (thanks!!) and I went over this morning to see when I can check in as I had to be done at the hostel at ten this morning. The B&B is beautiful -- definitely on the right side of the tracks :) And despite the fact it doesn´t have AC either, is worlds cooler (and quieter!) than the hostel... All good.
I´m afraid that I don´t have the penguin pictures yet -- the backup device requires charging in order to move them onto my usb stick, and there wasn´t a secure (physically or in terms of thievery) place to recharge it in the last two hostels. But that will be remedied soon :) For now, here are some other recent shots :)
Here are some pretty flowers I saw on my island walk in Ushuaia -- the landscape there is so harsh and yet tucked into all sorts of nooks and crannies are beautiful flowers like these and many others.
Here is another shot of the Perito Morena glacier -- the chunk of ice at the bottom of the cliff really was that blue!
And another shot of the area around Bariloche -- I ate lunch here!
And the crab shot is just for you Darlene -- I couldn´t leave Ushuaia without trying the king crab, and having bought it, needed a record!!
Comments
have a good time and we'll try to contact all of you on skype - we just don't know when will work.
Oh - and thank Tythlich for all the assists!
thank you thank you thank you!
love you tonnes,
Darlene
It sounds like you and the parents are going to a pretty nice B&B - yay! Mum and Dad are expecting 25-28, so the 33 will be a nice surprise!
Have an absolutely awesome time!
Love you lots,
Catherine
(Darlene, if you master that presentation, just let me know and I'll be over for dinner! The only thing I have against crab is my lack of mastery over the shelling process.) That has to be the most civilized way of serving crab that I've ever seen!
Have fun with your visitors in Buenos Aires! Love you tonnes,
Nicola
Leela