Penguin pics and Buenos Aires
Here are a couple of cute penguin shots. I took some video footage of them as well, but blogger doesn´t seem to like the files (nor does my usb stick, to be honest) so these are just stills. The baby was the cutest thing ever though! The third picture is of the Welsh tea we stopped for on the way back -- there is a region in Patagonia where the people are still Welsh -- they even still speak it in school, which is taught in Spanish and Welsh. Quite cool. The tea was enormous, but quite tasty. And not too far removed from a standard English high tea, in truth, though the roots of the multiple cakes and pies in Patagonia are from the era when people didn´t have enough to eat as individual families, and so pooled their food every evening at teatime.



As for the visit with the parental units, it´s going really well. The guidebook suggests that Porteños are known for shopping, walking and doing tango, and we are doing well on all three counts. I am trying to learn tango at our hotel´s evening tango classes, but it is a bit of a bumpy process. I suspect it isn´t helped by the fact that I don´t have adequate shoes to wear and therefore show up in socks! Defenseless toes... But it has been fun. Mum and Dad are taking a few private lessons as well, but I am not. And so far I have not been brave enough to go to the milonga (the dance halls) either. We´ll see -- I may yet get brave enough!
We´ve also been very civilised in terms of eating -- the hotel breakfast is quite good and then each day we´ve had lunch, coffee and goodies, AND afternoon beer, AND dinner with a bottle of Malbec... I think I don´t have any lingering issues with food-poisoning related weight loss anymore :) But it´s been very fun to show my folks around a city unlike most others I´ve known and to show off my baby Spanish in interactions with waiters, hotel staff, taxi-drivers and shop folk. All good. I don´t have the family holiday pics to put up today, but hopefully at the next update...
As for the visit with the parental units, it´s going really well. The guidebook suggests that Porteños are known for shopping, walking and doing tango, and we are doing well on all three counts. I am trying to learn tango at our hotel´s evening tango classes, but it is a bit of a bumpy process. I suspect it isn´t helped by the fact that I don´t have adequate shoes to wear and therefore show up in socks! Defenseless toes... But it has been fun. Mum and Dad are taking a few private lessons as well, but I am not. And so far I have not been brave enough to go to the milonga (the dance halls) either. We´ll see -- I may yet get brave enough!
We´ve also been very civilised in terms of eating -- the hotel breakfast is quite good and then each day we´ve had lunch, coffee and goodies, AND afternoon beer, AND dinner with a bottle of Malbec... I think I don´t have any lingering issues with food-poisoning related weight loss anymore :) But it´s been very fun to show my folks around a city unlike most others I´ve known and to show off my baby Spanish in interactions with waiters, hotel staff, taxi-drivers and shop folk. All good. I don´t have the family holiday pics to put up today, but hopefully at the next update...
Comments
It sounds like you three are having a great time in Buenos Aires! I'm very proud of you for making the effort to learn the tango--especially without protective footgear ;-)
Tonnes of love,
Nicola
Love you!
Catherine