Some pics of the last week or so...

Well, the last night in the hotel sans the parental units felt a bit weird, all told, but I made some supper and chatted with some people before heading to bed around the same time as we´ve been heading out to find dinner for the last week or so... It is gorgeous and sunny today and I think that I´ll spend a few hours in BA´s famous parks, and perhaps indulge in an ice-cream :) I booked a ticket to Iguazu Falls for tonight and I´ll get there tomorrow around lunchtime. I expect that it will be very hot and very wet, but everyone I´ve talked to aboutg it says that the falls are their personal highlight as far as sights to see in Argentina, so I am definitely looking forward to it!

The connection rate here isn´t bad, so I´m uploading some pictures of our trip in BA. The metal object is a giant tulip made of a bronze metal near the United Nations plaza (we think it might close at night, but never went back to see).

Here is one of Mum and Dad practicing in the kitchen at the hotel one night while we waited for the potatoes to cook.

The picture of Dad and I is at the Casa Rosada, which is the town residence of whoever is currently ruling the nation. Apparently the Perons used to address the masses from the *lower* balcony (not the upper balcony like most dictators here) to show their connection with the people. WhatEVER.

This is the Plaza 25 de Mayo (see the crazy storm building in the background behind the monument??). This is the plaza where the Mothers of the Disappeared protested (and protest still) the fact that their children 'disappeared' during the Dirty War here in Argentina. It still has riot fencing blocking it off from the Casa Rosada -- it wasn´t closed off the day Mum and Dad and I were there, but when I visited a few years ago with my friend the riot fencing had closed off the streets on both sides and separated the masses from the rulers by a good hundred metres or so...

Mum (with Dad!) showing off her new purchases (or the bag that holds them, anyway :)).
We were lucky to make it out of the plaza before the storm hit -- we ducked into a pub just as the rain began to really come down. It poured enough in the space of about an hour to flood three of the subway lines and completely empty the downtown core. It was eerie to walk around an area that had been jammed full of people only an hour before and then felt like it was a bombed out city. Bizarre.

Comments

Anonymous said…
"Somebody" had fun shoe and bag shopping! It is nice to see your parents' smiling faces -- and some lovely touristy shots too. That storm looks crazy behind the monument! Good thing you were sheltered when it passed through! I hope you have a great time at the Iguazu Falls. I am delighted that you are going...

Popular Posts