They´re off...

Well, I´m a solo traveller again. I just sent off Mum and Dad in a taxi to the airport. And even though I´ll see them again in just a few weeks as my adventure here is almost over, it was still wicked difficult to say goodbye. It´s hard to let go of a lifetime of conditioning of "but I only see them every six months!!" We had a very successful visit though -- lots of laughs, lots of good food and wine and fun learning to tango at this great hotel. We had a different teacher every night and I think I managed to pick up quite a lot considering that I don´t dance!!

Today we did some shopping and managed to visit the Cemeteria de la Recoleta, which is an enormous city of the dead. It is unique in my experience -- a maze of monuments and streets, alleys, and trees to the dead. Some of the crypts are huge great things made of marble with bronze doors or wraught iron and glass with plants inside and steps going into the crypt, and others are simple tombs. Some look like, as Mum pointed out, that the very rich family interred in them pays someone to come and clean them every week and water the houseplants inside (yes, you read that correctly!) and some are largely abandoned, with debris and dirt inside, the glass broken and the wooden coffins getting weather-beaten. Very strange, really. Lots of stray cats too. Quite the experience, at any rate!

I saw on the news today that there was some kind of riot happening in Rosario, so I think that I might not stop there after all. Looking online it seems like there is room on a night bus to Iguazu Falls for tomorrow night, so I think that I will simply go directly there. Sixteen hours isn´t that long! Unfortunately there is no room left on the first class bus, so I will have to settle for a cama bus, rather than the one where the chair goes flat and they (I hear) serve whiskey or champagne before bed... Oh well.

I will post some family holiday pics when I get them onto the usb stick...

Comments

Popular Posts