Summer!!

It's finally summer. Genuine, too hot to be out in the middle of the day, strong-smelling blossoms, drying grass and pine pollen deluges, summer. Yay!! I am back to the square-foot gardening gig and it seems to be working out a little better here in the depths of British Columbia, smack in the middle of the suburbs, than it did in the middle of Toronto, last time I tried it, which is all good. The only casualty so far is the sad little cucumber plant I put out there more on a whim than anything else. I admit it struggled along for a week or two before it came to its inevitable end, but everything else is doing splendidly. Almost all my squares are full now. And I have tomatoes and three varieties of pumpkin and squash doing their thing outside of the boxes. It's all good.

I am, alas, still unemployed... And the reasons that I moved to BC are still entirely relevant and not yet resolved. But most days I am feeling now as though this terribly out-of-character decision to move here may yet have been me listening to the universe for once... I can hope!

On a good note though, I am going to be able to do an internship (albeit a short one) with the Earthship Biotecture people after all. I wasn't accepted for a full internship this year, but they have signed on to do a project in Montana for which they need labour. So at the end of July I'm going to drive (yes, me, drive, in a private automobile... Who am I and where *did* they put the pod?!) from the interiour to the eastern side of Montana to give my free labour to help build an Earthship. And an entirely unexpected bonus of this year's participation will be that I'll be given priority for next year's internships, which means that I have a much better chance of actually getting to New Mexico next year than I did this time around. Yay! So that is quite exciting.

Other than that I'm still working on processing the insights from the trip down south last year. It's very hard to believe that I left for South America almost a year ago. All that planning, all those experiences, all the people I met... all so very far away in so many ways. But in other ways it's all still relevant. I find that the perspective I gained by being on the road hasn't completely gone away; rather, it comes up in unexpected ways and gives me the chance to see possibility where before I might have only seen non-conformity... It's a process, but a good one...

Comments

The Travellers said…
Glad to see you back, Lady!
Mel said…
Hi Megan! I got your message on my old blog...and I replied. Just in case you didn't get that, here is my email address:
melissa@speakvolumes.ca
We're doing well and would love to hear from you!
Mel

Popular Posts