Eek

So, from floating about wondering what to do with myself in this town, I am now working, which is good, and I might have a couple of teaching gigs lined up too, which is also good. Also somewhat unnerving -- it's been a long time since I've worked at a "real" job. Doing the PhD was a long involved process with a great deal of work involved, but it somehow never had the cachet in my own mind of a 9-5 job where you go and sit at a desk all day, or even a dawn to dusk out in the field kind of job where you're tired at the day's end and know that you did something real with your day, even if no one paid you for it. I sometimes think my perception of work is dangerously skewed -- it's like the only thing that should count as "work" is something that is a) unpleasant, b) boring or c) wears you out. What I'm doing right now doesn't feel that hard. The writing is flowing pretty well, the meeting with clients seems to be positive and my colleagues seem to think I have something good to offer. All of this is quite novel and outside of my usual idea of "work". Maybe there is even a possibility of being paid to do something I *like* in this town?? Surely not...

Comments

Popular Posts