Life changes

Goodness. A two-year hiatus. Where to begin. Well, to start with, Timeseeker is getting married in eight days. That was not something I could have anticipated when I started freelancing a couple of years ago, that is for sure. But it is exciting. I also bought a house -- sadly, not an earthship :( -- a couple of months ago. I now live in a town of merely 40,000 people. Quite a shift from my city days. But the good news is that I have my own garden for the first time ever! I am doing well with it, too, and next year I'm going to look into backyard chickens, too. This town, unlike many of its small town compatriots, is actually sort of open to local food security, which is pretty exciting. I'll be taking the bus this fall to work again too, for the first time since I set out on my adventures to South America four years ago. Truth be told, I'm a bit lost in terms of my timeseeking lifestyle. I've spent a lot of my adult life defining myself by independence and mobility. As one friend used to tell me -- "Oh, your response to things is to get the hell out of Dodge..." Um. About that. It's not such a complimentary thing, really. In fact, getting the hell out of Dodge is sometimes just about not wanting to face up to how things are in my present context. Not so awesome! But on the other hand, there is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to see the world, go to awe-inspiring places and be amazed by this awesome planet. However. What does that look like as a mortgage-paying member of society? What does Timeseeker travel look like with a husband? My valley boy (an affectionate term, I promise) has *not* seen the world. He is new to the idea of travel, and we have tied our immediate future to a quite conventional path by purchasing a home. Effectively, we have opted in, without the job security to support that choice. Some days I'm really not sure how I feel about that. We're paying less to live in our own home than I did as a renter -- a sign, no doubt, of the economic times -- but still, when you up and leave your rental flat, paying the still-existing mortgage on it is the landlord's problem, not yours. Rather different when the home is mine, no? Anyway. It's a new phase of life, for sure.

Comments

Popular Posts