All in a day's... living?
Well, the wedding went off really well. Three months of planning, a fifteen minute ceremony and a great party later I realised that I was right in the beginning -- it's the people who show up to witness that make the event. What an awesome group of people and so special to feel as loved as we did on that day. Especially with The Travellers showing up via Skype for the ceremony part, even while they are on the other side of the world. Sometimes technology really is all that it is cracked up to be :)
Valley Lad and I went off to Tahsis for the annual fishing trip a few days after the wedding -- *not* the honeymoon, I hasten to point out -- and saw amazing wildlife. Such a great trip for whales, porpoises (including one that went right under our boat), otters, eagles and most remarkably, a sunfish (or mola mola)! What a weird creature and it looked so very out of place in our Pacific should-be-cold waters. Of course the waters aren't cold this year, which is why more often than not we had mackerel taking our lures. About that. I didn't catch much. A couple of smallish lingcod and the world's tiniest mature salmon -- a jack pink. It's about 12 inches long and 2 pounds. But truth be told I'm kind of okay with that -- I'm conflicted about fishing anyway. The pacific salmon fishery is on the verge of total collapse and while I think that that has much more to do with the commercial industry than the recreational one, there is no denying that every fish taken out of the water before it goes up river is one fewer fish that is reproducing that year. Sigh. Mostly we practiced 'catch and release' fishing -- both on purpose and inadvertently ;)
Anyway, back home now, to a slightly unhappy garden. It seems that my great plan to let the weeds have their way with the front "lawn" this spring has been foiled by a lack of rain this last month. Spring may have been unusually wet this year, but the summer has been here with a vengeance this last month and the front yard is now a cracked and dry wasteland of dead weeks with a few hardy bits of grass clinging to precarious life. Do I succumb to the suburban pressure for grass and irrigate? Here in the desert where we have less water per capita than any other Canadian settlement? Hmm... Seems problematic to me.
Valley Lad and I went off to Tahsis for the annual fishing trip a few days after the wedding -- *not* the honeymoon, I hasten to point out -- and saw amazing wildlife. Such a great trip for whales, porpoises (including one that went right under our boat), otters, eagles and most remarkably, a sunfish (or mola mola)! What a weird creature and it looked so very out of place in our Pacific should-be-cold waters. Of course the waters aren't cold this year, which is why more often than not we had mackerel taking our lures. About that. I didn't catch much. A couple of smallish lingcod and the world's tiniest mature salmon -- a jack pink. It's about 12 inches long and 2 pounds. But truth be told I'm kind of okay with that -- I'm conflicted about fishing anyway. The pacific salmon fishery is on the verge of total collapse and while I think that that has much more to do with the commercial industry than the recreational one, there is no denying that every fish taken out of the water before it goes up river is one fewer fish that is reproducing that year. Sigh. Mostly we practiced 'catch and release' fishing -- both on purpose and inadvertently ;)
Anyway, back home now, to a slightly unhappy garden. It seems that my great plan to let the weeds have their way with the front "lawn" this spring has been foiled by a lack of rain this last month. Spring may have been unusually wet this year, but the summer has been here with a vengeance this last month and the front yard is now a cracked and dry wasteland of dead weeks with a few hardy bits of grass clinging to precarious life. Do I succumb to the suburban pressure for grass and irrigate? Here in the desert where we have less water per capita than any other Canadian settlement? Hmm... Seems problematic to me.
Comments