Is zero waste an equity issue?


So, I’ve been working towards a zero waste lifestyle. Don’t get me wrong – I’m nowhere near there yet. But I’m working on it. Trying to choose options that are lower waste, not single use, aren’t over-packaged, etc., etc. However, on the way I’ve noticed some trends that are problematic. First, zero-waste options, especially in personal care products, are radically more expensive than their conventional counterparts. For example, a tube of regular, big brand toothpaste (think: Colgate, Crest, etc.) costs about a dollar if you can find it on sale or are able/willing to buy in bulk. A jar of no-waste all-natural colloidal silver toothpaste in a glass jar with no box puts me back about ten dollars at my local natural foods store. Note that I’ve tried to find a no-waste option at my regular big-box grocery store already to no avail. The tube of cheap conventional toothpaste probably lasts longer than my jar of fancy toothpaste too, and as far as my non-dental-professional-self can tell, works as well or better than my no-waste alternative toothpaste. Looking for a no-waste solution for dental floss runs into the same price problem.Second, there appears to be an assumption that if a person is looking for lower-waste options that she is also looking for a “natural” product, an assumption that I find to be flawed. I still want a product that works, thank you, and I don’t actually mind if my toothpaste is endorsed by actual dental professionals. Alas, at least in my community, this is not to be (yet!). 

The third trend is accessibility, both in terms of price, but also in terms of physically accessing lower waste options. Though my grocery store sells some items in bulk, it doesn’t allow customers to bring their own containers, so unless I have the time/money/transportation options that allow me to get to the other bulk food stores in town (that don’t sell fresh produce, which means I’m making either two separate trips, or a longer trip, thus creating more greenhouse gas emissions from my wasteful combustion engine car), I’m stuck with a wasteful single-use plastic bag in the bulk section that is too flimsy to even repurpose to dispose of used cat litter. Furthermore, if I didn't have a car, I'd struggle to get to either retail location with any ease.

These examples are just a small sample of the challenges and roadblocks that I meet at each intersection on the road to zero-waste. The low-hanging fruit was already done in my life – I already don’t use plastic straws, I already use reusable bags to do my shopping, I already take a coffee cup or eat in to avoid take-out cups, I already compost – my thought is that for most people who are taking notice of waste issues, the same low fruit is already done.

All of which brings me to equity. For me (and many others) sustainability is about everyone. All the people, in all the income brackets, in all the different areas of the world, able to live in peaceful prosperity that supports the life systems of our shared planet in perpetuity. How can we even begin to move towards this vision if something as basic as trying to reduce personal waste is so very expensive? I recognise my privilege – I’m white, educated, have a job, have personal mobility, am able to make a variety of trade-offs in my daily life in support of my values. I can see the value in sending a market signal about no-waste options, even though some days it feels pretty futile. I have the opportunity to do backyard composting (because I have a backyard: hello privilege!), I don’t need single-use straws for accessibility, I have a car in a community where public transportation is spotty, inconvenient and doesn’t go most of the places a person might need to travel regularly. I have been able to make choices that support both my values and don’t erode my ability to eat or have shelter. Sort of. And the costs of these choices mean that other options are not open to me; even more, even the option to make the choices at all is not there for many members of my local and global community.

Sustainability demands more of us than just the easy choices. It is possible to live well and joyfully using fewer resources and making lower-impact choices. It should not be an option that is only available to people who already have privilege and choice – the option to be a sustainable member of the human community should be the default. Design choices, regulation and policy all have a role to play in making sustainable choices the default, cheap and obvious option instead of being unattainable to most.

So please, take the steps you can to reduce your personal waste, buy the fancy no-waste toothpaste if you can afford to, and please, take (and make) the opportunities to talk about accessibility, about equity and about the availability of sustainable choices whenever you can. Together we can move towards a sustainable future that supports us all.

Comments

Popular Posts